Ms. Aikman-Scalese is of counsel in the firm's Intellectual Property practice group. Her practice focuses on a wide variety of business and commercial contracts with a special emphasis on intellectual property matters, including branding, trademark registration and enforcement, copyright, and licensing. Ms. Aikman-Scalese has also negotiated a number of media-related financing, production, and distribution agreements.
Prior to joining the firm Ms. Aikman-Scalese was with Waterfall, Economidis, Caldwell, Hanshaw & Villamana, P.C.
- Worldwide trademark clearance, prosecution, and portfolio management for the largest division of a Fortune 150 defense industry manufacturer, consulting as to various licensing matters.
- Management of a global defense industry IP dispute resulting in a favorable settlement achieved through mediation.
- Software copyright registration, acquisition, and licensing.
- Enforcement of IP rights against counterfeiters and infringers based in China.
- Drafting and filing of public comments concerning domain name matters in connection with ICANN’s new unlimited gTLDs on behalf of an independent agency of the US Government, filing of Objections at WIPO and the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Intellectual Property Counsel to a federally recognized Indian Tribe, including trademark portfolio management, copyright clearance and registration for cultural manuals, and negotiation and protection of software rights.
- Management of U.S. and Mexican trademark portfolios for an Arizona casino with entertainment and restaurant operations.
- Trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement for a state university in Arizona.
- Protection and licensing of proprietary software developed for scheduling of public access television facilities.
- Copyright registration and enforcement resulting in recapture of unauthorized printed materials on behalf of a World War II museum.
- Trademark and copyright portfolio management for a mass market producer for the children's and "tween's" market, including enforcement of trade dress.
- Representation in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings as needed, including negotiation of numerous trademark consent and co-existence agreements. See more here
- Panelist, "A Web of Infringement: An Interactive Panel Exploring the Enforcement and Protection of Trademarks and Copyrights Online -- Stayin' Alive: Enforcing Trademark Rights in the World of Unlimited Top Level Domains," American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Mid-Winter Institute, January 2015
- Speaker, "The Promises and Perils of e-TEAS Filing for Trademarks via the Madrid Protocol," State Bar of Arizona CLE, April 2014
- Speaker and Panelist, "Google and Apple: Mavericks or Monopolists?," State Bar of Arizona Annual Convention, June 2013
- Moderator, "The Road to Trademark Recovery: Enforcing Trademarks in the new gTLD Program," International Trademark Association Table Topic
- Guest Speaker, "Brand Recognition and Enforcement in the New Unlimited Top Level Domain Environment," University of Arizona Rogers College of Law, September 2012
- Moderator, "To Register or Not To Register, That is the Question: Getting Ready for ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse," International Trademark Association Table Topic
- Speaker, "The Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks," World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Seminar, Mexico City
- Co-Presenter, "How Do the New Top Level Domain Names Impact Your Business and Brand?," Lewis and Roca Webinar
- Speaker, "IP Issues in Web-based Business Start-Up," Arizona State Bar Annual Meeting
- Speaker, “Advanced Licensing,” PLI Seminar
- Moderator, "What's Not So Generic About the New Generic Top Level Domains?," International Trademark Association Table Topic
- Speaker and Co-Chair,“Trademark Aspects of Pharmaceutical and BioTech,” PLI seminar (Replays of this seminar are available at the PLI website.)
- Speaker,"Federal Trademark Basics," Pima County Bar Association