"Is renowned for his work in an array of business and corporate litigation, with a focus on the representation of corporations and individual defendants in securities cases and government investigations." - Chambers USA
Fred Baumann's practice focuses on a variety of complex corporate and business litigation, including representation of individual and corporate defendants in class and derivative actions (including claims under federal and state securities laws), and in connection with government investigations, and representation of local and national corporate entities in contract, fraud, and other business litigation. He also represents attorneys and law firms in a variety of disputes, including claims for negligence and breach of other professional responsibilities. He has extensive experience in federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration and mediation of business disputes.
Fred is the Chairman of the Executive Committee at Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP.
- Lead Colorado counsel for GSE in connection with ongoing government investigation of foreclosure law firm practices.
- Lead counsel for regional law firm in connection with seven suits arising from conservation easement projects; all cases resolved in 2013.
- Lead counsel for foreign natural resource company in connection with claims arising from potential diamond mining project; state claims resolved following appeal in 2011, motion to dismiss federal claims pending.
- Lead counsel for national law firm in connection with suit alleging aiding and abetting of client fraud; four week bench trial on a portion of claims, including breach of contract, negligence and breach of fiduciary duties, concluded in 2008.
- Co-lead counsel for individual members of the board of directors of public telecommunications company in connection with securities, derivative and other suits arising from restatements of financial statements; derivative, ERISA and securities class action suits settled.
- Lead counsel for regional law firm in connection with a variety of claims and suits, including state court suit alleging violations of foreign law relating to derivative investment program; suit tried to successful result in 2011.
- Lead counsel for former director charged with securities fraud, insider trading and perjury arising from accounting irregularities at electronics manufacturing company; no-jail misdemeanor plea entered and case dismissed.
- Lead counsel for former CFO of public software development company in connection with class actions under federal securities laws, derivative claims and SEC civil action arising from restatements of financial statements; derivative claims settled in 2006, securities claims settled in 2007, and SEC action settled in 2008.
- Lead trial counsel for broker-dealer in connection with unsuitability claims brought in federal court in New Mexico by county that invested in long-term "stripped" bonds; judgment entered for client at close of plaintiff's case.
- Lead trial counsel for bank in connection with claims arising from secured credit card marketing program; $1 million jury verdict in favor of client on counterclaim returned, affirmed on appeal, and paid.
- Lead trial counsel for software development company in connection with breach-of-contract and related claims involving transfer of software publishing agreement; $1.8 million jury verdict in favor of client returned, amended judgment affirmed on appeal and paid.
*Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome on future legal matters.
- Panelist, "Should Attorneys Collaborate During the Discovery Process?," Faculty of Federal Advocates Annual CLE, December 2010
- The Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado - Award for exemplary support and outstanding leadership, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America - 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" - Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy), and Litigation-Securities, 2005-2017
- Colorado Super Lawyers - 2012-2015 Top Ten Ranking, 2006-2015
- Chambers USA Annual Client's Guide to Business Lawyers - Litigation: General Commercial and Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations, 2004-2016
- Benchmark Litigation - "Local Litigation Star" in Colorado, 2016
- 5280 [The Denver Magazine] - "Top Lawyers 2015" list, 2015