Mr. Herstam, a principal of the Firm, has been the Chairman of the Arizona Government Relations Practice since 1996. He has been active at the Arizona State capitol for more than 30 years, serving in a variety of public policy positions.
Mr. Herstam is a former gubernatorial Chief of Staff and Director of Communications (1991-1992) for then Governor Fife Symington. He implemented gubernatorial public policy goals and served as a representative and liaison for the governor with legislators, state, county and municipal government officials and media. Mr. Herstam served as a key member of Arizona Governor Jane Hull’s transition team in September, 1997. Governor Hull appointed Herstam to an eight-year term on the Arizona Board of Regents where he served as President of the Board in 2004. He co-chaired former Governor Janet Napolitano’s transition team in November and December, 2002 and also served on Attorney General Napolitano’s transition team in December, 1998.
Mr. Herstam was Director of the Arizona Department of Insurance from 1993 to August, 1996. He provided management and policy direction to the regulatory agency. Mr. Herstam was a State Representative for eight years (1983-1990) in the Arizona House of Representatives. He served as Republican Majority Whip, Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee and Chairman of the House Counties and Municipalities Committee. Mr. Herstam has also been a governmental affairs and corporate relations executive for a major health care company.
In addition, Mr. Herstam is a frequent guest appearing on local television and radio outlets to discuss public policy and political issues, most commonly on Phoenix NBC Channel 12.
Mr. Herstam has represented over one hundred clients before the Arizona Legislature, Governor’s Office, state agencies, boards and commissions, and local government entities. Some of his current clients include:
- Area Agencies on Aging Association
- Arizona Health Facilities Authority
- Arizona State Board of Nursing
- Arizona State Board of Technical Registration
- Banner Health
- CalPortland Company
- Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
- Children's Action Alliance
- Contact Solutions
- Delta Dental
- Donor Network of Arizona
- Health Management Systems
- Mitchell International, Inc.
- Mohave Educational Services Cooperative
- Navajo Nation
- Progressive Insurance Company
- Prudential Overall Supply
- ResCare, Inc.
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- “2016 Arizona Legislative Session Preview,” Arizona Grant makers Forum, January 2016
- “2016 State Capitol and Election Preview,” Flinn-Brown Leadership Academy, Flinn Foundation, December 2015
- “Arizona Politics Reality Check,” Valley Leadership, December 2015
- Panelist, "Elections: Whose Vote is it Anyway," Issues & Answers Forum with Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, O’Connor House, June 2014