Darren Lemieux is a litigator and trial attorney based in the firm’s Denver office. Darren actively practices in both Colorado and Nevada representing clients in commercial and complex civil litigation matters. In addition to significant trial experience, Darren also represents clients on appeals and has briefed and argued a number of sophisticated issues before state and federal appellate courts.
Darren also has experience handling administrative law matters and subsequently navigating those matters through the judicial system. For example, Darren has extensive liquor law experience—representing all three tiers of the alcohol beverage industry—in primary source and franchise law disputes.
Prior to entering private practice, Darren clerked for Justice Hardesty of the Nevada Supreme Court. He is also licensed to practice law in California.
- Represented apparel company as lead trial counsel in a two-week jury trial in 2015, obtaining a complete defense verdict and an award of damages of $600,000 for fraud, deceptive trade practices, and conversion, plus an award of $125,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Obtained a $6 million jury verdict and judgment, including punitive damages and attorneys’ fees, for Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada and Maisons Marques & Domaines USA Inc.. See “Southern Wine & Spirits, Ruvo win court victory” (6.30.13) and “Southern Wine & Spirits awarded $1.1 million in punitive damages” (6.27.13). This litigation spanned more than a decade and included an appeal of a permanent injunction issued in 2008, which Darren helped successfully uphold on appeal before the Nevada Supreme Court. See Chateau Vegas Wine, Inc. v. Southern Wine and Spirits of America, Inc., 265 P.3d 680, 127 Nev. Adv. Op. 73 (2011).
- Represented seller of petroleum business in a 13-week bench trial with more than 5,000 trial exhibits concerning a post-acquisition dispute over hundreds of millions of dollars. The case ultimately settled.
- Represented former teacher on appeal from denial of petition for judicial review regarding unemployment benefits, obtaining a reversal and remand for client by published opinion. See Hohenstein v. State Emp’t Sec. Div., 131 Nev. Adv. Op. (2015).
- Represented dissenting shareholder of company that owned Las Vegas Sun newspaper in antitrust litigation concerning area’s two major newspapers. See New York Times article “A Newspaper in Las Vegas, at Risk of Closing, Divides a Family” (9.5.13). The case settled and the dissenting shareholder ended up acquiring sole ownership of the newspaper. See “Brian Greenspun takes control of Las Vegas Sun, other GMG titles” (7.1.14).
- Represented a law firm in an action for $25,000,000 against the firm arising out of a Qui Tam lawsuit in federal court.
- Represented commercial land owner in multi-million dollar lawsuit for catastrophic injuries sustained from a car wash, obtaining summary judgment in favor of client and award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented Airport Authority in federal court in complex commercial dispute, obtaining a dismissal with prejudice based on state and federal motor carrier laws.
- Represented an importer/wholesaler of alcoholic beverages in a lawsuit against a number of suppliers who had infringed on the importer’s/wholesaler’s franchise rights, obtaining partial summary judgment. The suppliers ultimately agreed to pay damages and fees to the client, resulting in a successful settlement for the importer/wholesaler.
- Co-Author, "How to Avoid Accidentally Writing a Contract in Indelible Digital Ink," Northern Nevada Business Weekly, August 2012
- Author, "10 Steps to Consider If You Face a Claim of Malpractice," Northern Nevada Business Weekly, April 2012
- Author, "11 Steps to Consider When Facing a Malpractice Claim," The Writ, Official Publication of the Washoe County Bar Association, March 2012
- Colorado Super Lawyers - "Rising Star", 2015, 2016
- Mountain States Super Lawyers - "Rising Star" - Business Litigation, 2012-2014
- Nevada Business Magazine - 2010 Northern Nevada's Top 25 Attorneys, 2013 "Northern Nevada Best" - Legal Elite, 2010, 2013