Healthcare. Mr. Harris advises health care providers on licensing, regulatory, informed consent and compliance obligations.
He helped an organ procurement organization plan for and then work with providers and policy makers to win the passage of the “Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.” In addition, he has worked with organ procurement organizations as they have planned to implement the law.
He worked with clients in the revision and implementation of changes to their informed consent procedures, forms and documentation related to informed consent.
He has advised clients on licensing issues that health care institutions must satisfy under laws and rules enforced by the Department of Health Services.
He has represented clients facing disciplinary proceedings before a number of health care boards, including the Medical Board, the Dental Board, the Board of Behavioral Health Examiners, and the Chiropractic Board.
He also helps healthcare providers with HIPAA compliance issues. His work includes keeping companies out of trouble by helping them proactively adhere to compliance requirements and getting companies out of trouble by working to bring facilities into compliance.
Government Relations. Mr. Harris represents clients who are either fighting to maintain an existing state law and/or championing a change in the law. With 10+ years of combined experience in leadership roles at the Arizona Department of Insurance and as an Assistant Attorney General, as well as 16 years working on legislative matters at Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie, he regularly interfaces with the Arizona Legislature and state agencies to help his clients reach their goals.
Mr. Harris’ recent government relations work includes:
- Supporting the coalition which worked to enact compacts for doctors, nurses, physical therapists and psychologists.
- Drafting a change to the state’s data privacy laws to align Arizona law with HIPAA.
- Representing pet stores working to improve standards for sales of pets from breeders.
- Assisting in the passage of legislation to modernize the licensing system for certified nursing assistants.
- Supporting efforts to enact and preserve the Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.
- Assisting hospitals and medical records management companies in the implementation of Arizona’s health information exchange.
- Introducing a bill designed to clarify the obligations of a water service provider to deliver service to adjacent land owners.
- Drafting legislation to allow drivers to show proof of insurance on electronic devices including smart phones and tablets.
- Streamlining the permitting process for renewable energy development projects located within a city’s limits.
- Assisting the Arizona State Board of Nursing to clarify the authority of the Board’s executive director and working with stakeholders to correct a deficiency in the laws governing the work of certified registered nurse anesthetists.
- Changes to the laws for the out of state providers to lawfully prescribe medications or order diagnostic examinations for Arizona patients.
He has represented clients before Arizona state agencies such as the Board of Nursing, the Board of Technical Registration, the Department of Liquor Licenses and Control, the Registrar of Contractors, the Securities Division of the Arizona Corporation Commission, the Department of Financial Institutions, and the Department of Real Estate.