Greg Kanan practices in commercial, securities, and antitrust litigation and health law and has trial experience in all of these areas. He also regularly litigates a variety of intellectual property disputes. He has represented several major law firms in malpractice and fiduciary duty litigation.
His antitrust representation includes both plaintiff and defense litigation and defense of criminal antitrust charges. His experience includes cases dealing with price fixing, monopolies, attempts to monopolize, unlawful dealer termination and exclusive dealing, and illegal tying arrangements. He has handled antitrust cases or advised regarding antitrust issues in Colorado, Texas, California, South Dakota and elsewhere. In addition, Greg taught antitrust law at the University of Denver College of Law from 2001 to 2006. He regularly advises hospitals, physicians, and healthcare practice associations on antitrust issues, including one of the largest hospital systems in Colorado.
Greg has been listed in Chambers USA Leading Lawyers for Business since 2005 and included in Best Lawyers in America since 2006. Greg has been named one of the top 100 attorneys in Colorado by Colorado Super Lawyers. He also has been elected to the American College of Trial Lawyers, the preeminent trial lawyer organization in America. Membership is limited to no more than one percent of the lawyers in any state. In 2016, he was named Lawyer of the Year in Litigation, Banking & Finance by Best Lawyers in America.
Greg has handled a variety of intellectual property disputes, including recent representation of a business method patent holder in a major infringement suit involving a healthcare industry website where consumers locate and compare physicians. He has litigated a variety of trade secret cases including disputes involving ownership of computer software and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Representation of a major Denver law firm concerning its Moscow, Russia office and a claim brought by an Austrian bank that it had received sub-standard advice on how to operate in Russia in the mid-1990s. This lawsuit included a claim by the Austrian bank for damages in excess of $189 million. After a two-week trial, the Court issued a ruling completely in the favor of the law firm. The case was tried applying substantive Russian law and included use of various Russian-law experts
- Representation of defendants in securities litigation brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission in the Northern District of Illinois; private securities litigation in the Southern District of New York
- Representation of a former bank officer in securities fraud litigation arising from a major Ponzi scheme conducted by a former bank customer and resulting in investor losses in excess of $15 million
- Representation of an international business services and software provider claiming breach of contract and breach of duty of good faith against its contract partner in a $40 million contract award by the State of Colorado
- Representation of one of Colorado's largest hospital groups in a significant contract dispute arising under a multi-million dollar payment contract with one of its payors
- Representation of a defendant in antitrust litigation brought by a Colorado winery against more than 40 defendants in Colorado's liquor and wine industry
- Antitrust litigation representing a major car rental company in a price-fixing suit brought as a class action on behalf of car rental customers with respect to a fee imposed by the City and County of Denver when the new Denver International Airport opened
- Representation in the first case in Colorado to reach the Colorado Supreme Court interpreting the Colorado dissenter's rights statute
- Landmark litigation addressing the constitutionality of Colorado's charter school law before the Colorado Supreme Court
- Currently representing a death-row inmate in the State of Texas involving complex issues concerning the death penalty
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Denver College of Law, 1995-2006 (Health Law, 1995-2000/ Antitrust, 2001-2006)
- Speaker, "Legal Committee – Antitrust," Colorado Association of Realtors Annual Meeting, 2005
- Lecturer, "Antitrust and Healthcare," 1994
- Lecturer, "Antitrust," Colorado Association of Realtors, 1994
- Lecturer, "FTC and Antitrust Issues," Health Care Financial Management Association, 1994
- Instructor, "Legal Writing," University of Denver College of Law, 1986-1990
- Visiting Lecturer, "Legal Writing," University of Colorado School of Law, 1975, 1977-1978
- Author, "Securities Fraud Under State Common Law," University of Colorado Law Review,
- The Best Lawyers in America - 2016 Litigation - Banking and Finance “Lawyer of the Year” in Denver - Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Banking, Finance, 2006-2017
- Outstanding Sustained Contribution Award - Colorado Lawyers Committee, 2005
- Exceptional Service Award - American Bar Association Death Penalty Representation Project
- Colorado Super Lawyers - 2014, 2015 Top 100 Ranking, 2006-2016
- Chambers USA - Annual Client's Guide to Business Lawyers - Litigation: General Commercial, 2005-2016
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- 5280 [The Denver Magazine] - "Top Lawyers 2015" list, 2015