"He has a broad commercial practice which often sees him representing law firms, casino and hotel operators, and insurance companies at both trial and appellate level." - Chambers USA
Von Heinz is the founding partner of the firm's Nevada practice and a partner in the Las Vegas office of Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP and concentrates his practice in commercial and employment litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He has substantial experience in a wide range of commercial disputes involving securities, unfair business practices and other complex civil litigation, including ERISA and first-party liability litigation for insurance companies.
- Defended a regional bank against allegations of fraud resulting from failed multi-use development project, before Nevada state court and Nevada Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended a New York law firm in litigation before Nevada federal district court, the Nevada bankruptcy court, the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, against charges of professional negligence arising from its representation of a formerly publicly-traded Nevada corporation.
- Secured published ruling of first impression in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the legal duties of a court-appointed receiver.
- Received published ruling in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the admissibility of evidence in summary judgment proceedings.
- Successfully defended an international power company against federal claims regarding individual power supply contracts from the Nevada federal district court.
- Successfully obtained more than $100 million in damages on behalf of more than 100 insurance companies in In Re: May 4, 1998 Fire Litigation, recovering by subrogation in excess of 97% of monies paid to insureds incurring damages as a result of the explosion of the PEPCON ammonium perchlorate manufacturing plant. Appointed by the Nevada state court to serve as the plaintiff’s chair of the Discovery Committee and the Pretrial Planning Committee.
- Defended a product manufacturer in In Re: MGM Grand Hotel Fire Litigation, MDL 453 and appointed by the federal district court to serve as one of two lawyers to represent the interests of over 120 individually-represented defendants on the Discovery Planning and Scheduling Committee and the Pretrial Liaison Committee.
Employment and ERISA
- Successfully obtained trial judgment in favor of a national insurance corporation on disability claim, affirmed on appeal by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended an international financial services corporation against charges of wrongful termination and gender discrimination in Nevada federal district court.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of national home health care corporation in employment discrimination matter, affirmed on appeal by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Secured published ruling of first impression in the Nevada federal district court regarding scope of preemption of state law claims in an action arising under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.
- Prevailed on behalf of an international brokerage house in stock trading dispute before Nevada state court and FINRA.
- Represented an international financial corporation in securities fraud actions pending in the Nevada state court, the Nevada federal district court and the Nevada bankruptcy court.
- Served as lead Nevada counsel for an international arbitrageur in a hostile takeover action between competing computer corporations in Nevada federal district court.
- Acted as principal Nevada litigation counsel for an international hotel/casino corporation in a hostile takeover action in both the Nevada federal district court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Co-Author, "What to Consider When Facing a Malpractice Claim," Communiqué, September 2012
- Author, "HR Lessons from Yahoo's Recent Termination of Company CEO by Telephone," Las Vegas Business Press, October 2011
- Editor in Chief, Nevada Employment Newsletter, M. Lee Smith Publications, 2004-2007
- Author of over sixty articles on employment issues including employment contracts, termination, discrimination, human resources, and employee training
- Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers - Commercial Litigation, 2005-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America - Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C. - Labor and Employment Law, Commercial Litigation, and ERISA Litigation, 2008-2017
- Benchmark Litigation - "Local Litigation Star" - General Commercial, Insurance, and Securities Litigation, 2011-2016
- Mountain States Super Lawyers - Business Litigation, 2007-2015
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy - Faculty member, 2008-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell - "AV/Preeminent Attorney" Rating