John Carson is Of Counsel in Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie’s Intellectual Property practice group. Clients turn to John for licensing and all phases of eCommerce, patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret law. John is particularly well versed computer hardware and software, electrochemical, optics and electromechanical systems.
With more than 40 years of experience in IP law, and an impressive array of leadership positions in professional and community organizations, John is often called upon as an arbitrator and mediator, and is considered a national authority on ethics and intellectual property issues. John started his own firm before becoming Of Counsel at a leading international law firm. He has also been a trademark consultant to the California and Idaho Secretaries of State.
John’s interest in the arts has led to involvement with the Huntington Library and memberships with their Art Collectors Council, Art Overseers, and Library Overseers. John is also a volunteer for the Pasadena Tournament of Roses and Pasadena Humane Society.
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP, Of Counsel, 2016 - present
- Arent Fox, Of Counsel, 2014-2016
- Foley & Lardner LLP, Of Counsel, 2008-2014
- Successfully represented Herbalife in a trademark infringement and breach of contract suit in the District Court of Oregon
- Stopped numerous IP counterfeiting operations, both in the U.S. and internationally
- Manages international trademark portfolios
- Authored or co-authored several pieces of California legislation, including:
- Anti-Counterfeiting Law – Civil – Business and Professions Code Sections 14340-14342; Criminal – Penal Code Section 350
- Trade Secret Act – Civil Code Section 3426 et seq.; Code of Civil Procedure Section 2036.5 et seq.
- Trademark Use on Collateral Products – Business and Professions Code Section 14330
- Employee Rights in Inventions – Labor Code Section 2870
- Prior Trademark Use – Business and Professions Code Section 14342
- Co-Moderator, "The Price of Virtue: Walking the Tightrope Between Privacy and Security,” Los Angeles Federal Bar Association Seminar, September 2014
- Co-Panelist, "Let’s go to the video tape: What in-house counsel needs to know about licensing music, videos and photos," Association of Corporate Counsel Southern California In-House Counsel Conference, January 2012
Author, "California Takes FAA Proposed Drone Restrictions A Step Further", Law360, March 2015
Author, "Use It or Lose It: TTAB Grants Petition to Cancel Del Taco's Federal Trademark Registration for Former Fast Food Chain Brand," 2015
"Down Some Road With Alice: Section 101," 2015
"U.S. Accession to the Hague Agreement Provides U.S. Inventors Access to International Industrial Design Protection," 2015
"FAA Drone Restrictions vs. California," 2015
- California and Idaho Secretaries of State
- The Best Lawyers in America - “Los Angeles Trademark Lawyer of the Year” , 2015, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell - “AV® Peer Review Rating” , 2015
- Legal 500 - Intellectual Property – trademarks, non-contentious, 2013
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA, 2007-2015
- Los Angeles County Bar Delegation to the State Bar Conference - Spirit Award, 2001
- Attorney Settlement Officer - Most Cases Handled, Most Cases Settled, 1999 - 2000
- Loyola Law School and Whittier School of Law - taught Intellectual Property classes