The firm’s mining lawyers represent a wide variety of domestic and international clients, ranging from junior exploration companies to large producing mining companies, as well as individuals and landowners. Our mining lawyers’ extensive domestic and international transactional experience includes mineral exploration and option agreements, mining leases, mining purchase and sale agreements, mineral exploration joint ventures and development and operating agreements. We have represented buyers and sellers in multi-million dollar transactions involving producing mines and processing facilities and regularly perform all associated due diligence, negotiations, documentation and closing matters for such transactions.
Lewis Roca Rothgerber mining lawyers advise clients on mining title and ownership issues, render mineral title opinions, consult on severed mineral rights, mineral royalties and associated rights and the respective rights of surface and subsurface owners, including access and surface use matters. We regularly advise landowners and mining clients on a wide array of federal, state and Tribal laws applicable to mineral exploration and development, such as exploration permits, state and federal mineral leases, patented and unpatented mining claims and transactions involving Tribal lands. Our mining lawyers have been involved in projects for sand and gravel, gold, silver, copper, molybdenum, zinc and uranium, among other commodities. In addition to transactional and property related services, our mining services include compliance, permitting and legislative and administrative matters. Lewis Roca Rothgerber’s mining lawyers work with a wide range of lawyers having legal experience in such areas as environmental and water law, civil litigation, financing, commercial, bankruptcy and mergers and acquisitions to deliver the best possible, cost effective legal services to our mining clients.
- Counsel to seller in the sale of a North American gold producer with over one billion dollars in assets.
- Counsel to a complex Russian joint venture regarding the negotiation and documentation of a mining agreement, including associated gold processing, export and sales agreements with the Russian government.
- Counsel to the borrower in multi million dollar multi-lateral financing arrangements.
- Counsel to the purchaser in the acquisition, through a governmental privatization, of a large, producing copper complex owned by the government of Peru.
- Counsel to the purchaser in the acquisition of the assets of a large, domestic, fully integrated copper producer.
- Counsel for a corporate division with five producing mines, including all aspects of mine, smelter and refinery operations.
- Counsel to a multi-party joint venture regarding the negotiation and documentation of an agreement for a greenfield zinc development and construction project in Mexico.
- Counsel to exploration companies on a variety of land and mining claim acquisition issues.
- Render title opinions on unpatented mining claims and severed mineral rights.
- Counsel to clients regarding the performance of project and country risk evaluations, including legal, business and political risk assessments.
- Counsel to prospective purchasers and lenders in providing due diligence on mineral development projects and operating mines.
- Counsel regarding mining and industrial clients in administrative and judicial appeals of air and water quality permitting actions.
- Counsel to mining concern regarding Superfund liability, natural resources damages, NEPA and water rights.