Robert A. Green is a Partner in Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie’s Intellectual Property practice group. Clients look to Robert for his ability to procure, license and enforce patent portfolios in the fields of computer-controlled telecommunications, magnetic storage media, medical imaging and photovoltaics, among others. His opinions and advice have been counted on by clients of all sizes seeking to acquire or assess the risks of marketing substantial new products.
Relying on his technical knowledge from his degree in Engineering with a major in Solid State Electronics, and over 30 years of experience, Robert deals with cellular communications, solid state physics, laser optics, holography, laser-based inertial guidance and navigation systems, big data, computer security, digital musical instruments, high voltage power distribution, electromagnetism, complex mechanical and electromechanical systems, medical devices, and the plasma-assisted deposition of semiconductor materials.
Robert has conducted in-depth studies to evaluate commercial products and processes from a patent standpoint. He has particular technical experience in the following fields: Analog and digital electronics, computer hardware and software, digital systems, semiconductor devices and micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS).
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP (legacy firm Christie Parker & Hale LLP), Partner, 2000 – present
- Darby & Darby, PC, Partner, 1994-2000
- Nilsson, Wurst & Green, LLP, Founding Partner, 1991-1994
- Nilsson, Robbins, Dalgarn, Berliner, Carson & Wurst, Partner, 1986-1991, Associate, 1981-1986
- Widely licensed a portfolio of patents in the computer-controlled telecommunications field for total revenues exceeding $700 million
- Conducted due diligence analyses in support of initial public offerings and acquisitions of numerous high technology companies
- Oversaw creation and licensing of dominant patent portfolios for numerous technologies, including computerized musical instruments, magnetic stripe authentication systems, medical imaging systems, solid state power controllers, amorphous metals, adjustable intraocular lens systems and oil drilling equipment
- Negotiated the purchase and licensing of pioneering patents directed to the off-line building of stands of drill pipe on an oil drilling rig
- Built dominant worldwide patent portfolios in the photovoltaic field for a major U.S. oil company and a worldwide electronics conglomerate. The most extensive of these portfolios relate to: (i) solar cells utilizing Cu-multinary semiconductor materials; and (ii) ZnO transparent conductive electrodes for solar cells; the patents in these portfolios dominated their respective fields for many years
- Managed and grew patent portfolios of major companies in the defense and oil production sectors
- Obtained basic patents on doubly-curved x-ray diffraction crystals for a major West Coast university
- Obtained significant early patents for preeminent technical institute on a computer-controlled apparatus for sequencing proteins and peptides
- Successfully asserted and licensed patents to pavement renovation machinery against a large equipment manufacturer
- Obtained basic patents to the control of emissions from spray-applied asphalt paving processes and oversee the successful enforcement and licensing of these patents in the rubberized asphalt paving industry
- Conducted extensive freedom-to-operate studies forming the basis for an investment of more than $150 million in the creation of a facility for manufacturing large area thin film semiconductor devices
- Conducted product clearance studies for worldwide electronics conglomerate in the field of sputtered deposition
- Participated as second chair in defense of a leading manufacturer against assertion of patents in the thin film photovoltaic field; following a three week trial the matter was settled advantageously
- Successfully built and policed important trademark portfolios
- Successfully defended opposition and cancellation proceedings relating to a client's primary trademark against a major national paint manufacturer
- Conducted copyright audit on major enterprise software system and oversaw perfection of ownership to cure existing issues