David McElhinney is a partner in the firm’s Litigation, and Labor and Employment Practice Groups. His career spans more than 25 years and in that time he has had the pleasure of developing long-term working relationships with many of his clients, colleagues and officers of the Court. Licensed in Nevada and California, he is able to serve his clients’ business interests in both states.
He offers clients an experienced perspective and is able to help them decide whether litigation or settlement is the appropriate path to take to reach their business goals. He also advises clients on how to put legal measures in place now, in order to avoid or minimize adverse risk or exposure in the future.
He has been first chair legal counsel in over 40 jury trials and has served as lead counsel during countless bench trials in state and federal courts. He has litigated employment matters regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII sexual harassment and racial discrimination cases. He also provides counsel on day to day human resource matters, e.g., over time for exempt and non-exempt employees, handbooks, in house training, and EEOC investigations.
David was a shareholder with Beckley Singleton for 10 years and for the last 4 years was the managing shareholder at Beckley Singleton’s Reno office, prior to its partnering with Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie in 2007.
- Presenter, "Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the "Rambo" Litigator," National Business Institute, December 2012
- Co-Presenter, "Employee Benefits: What Human Resources Representatives Should Know," Society for Human Resource Management, April 2012
- Presenter, "Health Care Legislative Update," 11th Annual Employment Law Beyond the Basics Seminar, October 2011
- Presenter, "Stay Connected in Reno," Lewis and Roca Client Seminars, 2009
- Mountain States Super Lawyers - Civil Litigation: Defense, 2013-2015