"An extremely talented and practical attorney who is focused on land use regulation, zoning and real estate transactions. She is a popular choice among commercial developers, master planned community developers and national home building companies." - Chambers USA
Heidi Short is a partner in Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie’s Business Transactions practice group. Her focus is primarily in the areas of land use regulation, zoning, and real estate acquisition and disposition. Heidi represents commercial developers, national homebuilding companies, and master planned community developers in various areas including:
- Acquisition of land,
- Negotiation of development agreements,
- Securing zoning and land use entitlements,
- Negotiation of development financing,
- Preparation of construction and sales contracts, and
- All areas of acquisition, development and sale
Heidi, who began practicing law in 1997, was listed in the 2010-2015 editions of Best Lawyers in America® for land use and zoning law, and for real estate law.
- Represented private land owners and entities in structuring and negotiating federal land exchanges including the U.S. Forest Service land exchanges, and the U.S. Postal Service. Heidi’s experience includes build-to-suit agreements for proposed federal buildings to be located on private land in exchange for public lands, and structuring and negotiations required to secure specifically desired packages of land for exchange with Federal agencies.
- Represented one of the nation's largest master planned community developers in connection with acquiring a residential master-planned community including over 5,000 acres of residential use, 600 acres of commercial use, and 300 acres of mixed use property. Representation included assistance with the acquisition of the 5,000+ acre master-planned community and securing and analyzing land use and zoning entitlements and disposition of parcels to commercial and residential developers. Representation also included assistance with the issuance of special assessment revenue bonds to finance infrastructure improvements through a Community Facilities District.
- Represented international and national REITs in the acquisition, disposition, and leasing of properties throughout the U.S., including assistance with all property management issues.
- Represented international military contractor in securing zoning entitlements required for Foreign Trade Zone relating to weapons training and testing range.
- Represented international company in obtaining ownership and possessory interests in Arizona State Trust lands and in obtaining zoning and land use entitlements for a solar power project to serve an on-site, international operation center and designed to sell and distribute excess electrical power generation.
- Represented international merchant power generation company in obtaining land use entitlements including a general plan amendment and special use permit for the development of a 1060 megawatt natural gas-fired combined-cycle power plant designed to serve electricity to the Southwest.
- Represented privately held investment and management firms in the acquisition of assets including distressed residential, commercial, and industrial properties from banks, other financial institutions, and court-appointed receivers.
- Served as counsel to a regional retail distribution center for a large national operator of department stores in connection with the acquisition of property for the distribution center, negotiation of a development agreement providing for reimbursements and payments from the governing municipality, and securing zoning and site plan approvals.
- Served as counsel for a national developer in connection with obtaining a major amendment to an existing Planned Area Development to allow for the construction of a mixed use development including class A office space, office condominiums, retail pads, and multi-story hotels.
- Served as counsel for several commerce park and industrial centers in connection with acquiring parcels, leasing and selling parcels and drafting easements. Representation also included obtaining subdivision, zoning, and site plan approvals from the governing municipalities.
- Represented national resort and hotel owner/operator with obtaining zoning and subdivision approvals necessary to allow for a major expansion of a resort hotel, including a golf course.
- Negotiated long term specialized educational purpose leases with the Arizona State Land Department. Also secured all rights of entry and approvals necessary to successfully implement unique leasing opportunities available to schools through the Arizona State Land Department. Assisted school administrators and boards with acquiring property from private entities and municipalities. This representation included assisting schools with due diligence reviews, title examination, and proper property tax filings unique to schools. Representation also included assisting schools with timely and affordable placement, replacement or relocation of utilities, roadways, fire lines, and other unique public infrastructure needs of schools.
- Served as counsel to municipality in obtaining and distributing stimulus funds under the American Recovery Reinvestment Act.
- Serves as Zoning Adjustment Hearing officer for municipality. Conducts hearings and issues rulings on use permits, variance requests, and formal interpretations of the municipal zoning ordinance.
- Speaker, “National Public Radio” interview addressing anti-flipping provisions in residential retail purchase contracts, July 2004
- Author, "Legal Issues Affecting Landowners and Developers," Land Development Conference 2007, Real Estate Communications Group, December 2007
- Author, "Long Range Planning and Your Property," Arizona Journal of Real Estate and Business, October 2001
- Author, "Power Gained: Lessons Learned," Arizona Planning Association, December 2000
- Author, "Regular column providing legislative updates addressing proposed legislation," Florida Planning and Zoning Association, 1995,
- The Best Lawyers in America - Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C. - Land Use Zoning Law and Real Estate Law, 2010-2015, 2017
- Southwest Super Lawyers - Land Use/Zoning, 2008-2011
- Junior League of Phoenix - 75th Anniversary Outstanding Women honorees, 2009
- Florida State University Law Review - Member
- Florida State University Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law - Research Editor
- Chambers USA - Leading Lawyers for Business - Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, 2014-2016
- Arizona Woman Magazine Arizona Republic - “20 Women Who Will Shape Arizona by 2020”, 2007