Jill Ormond helps clients ranging from international retailers to specialty entertainment companies find practical and cost-effective legal solutions. With a background in the entertainment industry, Jill’s legal practice often focuses on consumer products and consumer services companies, practicing in the areas of product and premises liability, business and civil litigation, intellectual property and entertainment law. She has nearly a decade of experience in tort and complex commercial litigation matters
Jill also counsels clients on protecting their intellectual properties. She has nearly a decade of experience in tort and complex commercial litigation matters, including insurance defense, products liability, premises liability, business and civil litigation, entertainment law, and intellectual property.
Jill advises clients through the entire life cycle of film, television, music, digital media, and other creative assets. She represents film and television industry clients in production, acquisition, clearances, distribution and licensing deals, and agreements with cast/crew.
Jill’s experience representing entertainment clients, combined with her understanding of licensing and publishing rights, and litigation uniquely positions her to address the complex issues that can arise in creative projects.
- Trial counsel for manufacturer in jury trial involving claims brought by grocery store patron of injuries allegedly resulting from manufacturer’s display. Defense verdict.
- Trial counsel for service company in three week jury trial for tire failure claims. Defense verdict.
- Trial counsel in bench trial to successfully defend partnership dissolution.
- Summary judgment on various premises liability related claims.
- Represented apartment complex owner against claims by residents alleging wrongful death related to bathtub refinishing chemical. Matter settled with no payment by owners.
- Member of trial team that successfully litigated the ability of a county to bind a later incorporated city through a municipal development agreement. (Upheld by the Court of Appeals: 2 CA-CV 2006-0188).
- Managed trademark litigation to a reasonable settlement before trial.
- Successfully litigated a preliminary injunction for unfair trade practices based on defendant’s use of confusingly similar name and providing similar services.
- Successfully defended art gallery owners against copyright infringement claims by an artist. Giddings v. Vision House Production, Inc., 584 F.Supp.2d 1222 (2008).