The Wyoming State Bar is pleased to announce that John A. Masterson, an attorney from Casper, has received one of two 2013 Pro Bono Awards. John Cotton, Wyoming State Bar Immediate Past President, presented the award last week during the Bar’s Annual Meeting & Judicial Conference in Gillette, Wyoming.
The nomination for the award was submitted by Ann M. Rochelle, a Casper attorney. Below are some examples of Masterson’s tireless efforts for the Casper community:
- Vice President of the Wyoming Medical Center Board
- Treasurer of the Tate Foundation—handles many grant requests and is responsible for helping many non-profit ventures and scholarship requests for Casper.
- CASA of Natrona County— Court-Appointed Special Advocates board.
- Natrona County Library Foundation—Masterson spearheaded the efforts to raise additional tax revenue for a new library building.
- Wyoming Board of Law Examiners— Masterson was appointed this year by the Wyoming Supreme Court to serve a three-year term.
- President, Troopers Foundation— Masterson resurrected a dying band corps and made it into a nationally-recognized corps once again. He also helped the Troopers secure steady funding.
- President, Masterson Family Foundation— Masterson’s parents founded a low-cost housing option for families from outside of Casper to stay while they or their family members receive long-term cancer or medical treatment in Casper.
In addition, Masterson does legal work for non-profit entities such as the following:
- Wyoming Food Bank of the Rockies
- 307 Dance Academy
- Downtown Community Farmers’ Market
- Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps
- Natrona County Library Board of Trustees
“John is a well-respected member of the legal community. He is talented, good-natured and compassionate,” said Rochelle. “He is a great representative of the Casper legal community and deserves recognition.”
Masterson earned a Bachelor of General Studies from the University of Michigan in 1983 followed by his J.D. from the University of Wyoming College of Law in 1986. He is a partner in the Casper, Wyoming office of Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP.