Karl Rutledge is a partner in the in the firm’s Las Vegas office who focuses on promotional marketing and land-based and Internet gaming, with a particular emphasis on eSports, skill-based contests, sweepstakes, official rules, sports betting, privacy policies, and website terms and conditions.
Risk analysis and creative business structuring are keys to pursuing new offerings. Karl helps established and emerging companies operate legally in the U.S. under state and federal gaming and sweepstakes laws.
Karl also serves as an ongoing advocate for his clients and their gaming interests. He often interfaces with gaming regulators, advertisers, and payment processors to present his clients’ positions as to why they constitute a lawful operation.
Karl's wide variety of gaming/promotional expertise includes:
- Sports Betting
- Skill-Based Contests
- Bonding and Registration of Sweepstakes
- Social Gaming
- Risk Assessment
- Official Rules
- Compliance Plans
- Privacy Policies
- Loyalty/Rewards Programs
- End-User License Agreements (EULA)
- Terms and Conditions of Use
- Drafting Federal and State Gaming Legislation
- Various other issues relating to gaming, promotional marketing and brand development
Karl is the current chair of the Gaming Law Committee of the American Bar Association Business Law Section.
He has been featured in Global Gaming Business Magazine as an emerging leader in the gaming industry, recognized in Best Lawyers in America and holds AV Preeminent Attorney rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Karl recently co-authored a chapter for the Nevada Gaming Law Practice and Procedure Manual published by the State Bar of Nevada, a first of its kind reference/research tool for gaming and non-gaming practitioners.
Before becoming a lawyer, Karl worked as a rodeo clown and bullfighter and now raises bucking bulls and commercial cattle with his family.
- The Best Lawyers in America - Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C. - Gaming Law, 2012-2017
- Nevada Business Magazine - Legal Elite 2011 "Top 100 Attorneys in Southern Nevada", 2014 "Top 20 Up and Coming Attorneys in Nevada" - Gaming, Internet Gaming and Contests & Sweepstakes, 2011, 2014, 2016
- Mountain States Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - Gaming, 2010, 2012, 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell - "AV/Preeminent Attorney" Rating