Mr. Patton is a partner in the firm’s Tucson office. He helps businesses make deals happen. Mr. Patton’s expertise in both real estate and corporate matters allows him to assist clients from start to finish on real estate deals. In his real estate practice, he helps clients with the acquisition, disposition and financing of real estate projects, with a particular emphasis on the mutlifamily sector. His experience also includes business formations, joint ventures, corporate restructurings, mergers/acquisitions and private placements, many of which involve real estate. As a certified public accountant (CPA) and former tax consultant, Mr. Patton also helps clients with tax issues that arise in these business transactions.
Mr. Patton represents real estate owners and operators with clients ranging from real estate investment trusts (REITs) to entrepreneurial real estate companies specializing in rehabilitating real estate projects. Mr. Patton regularly assists clients with commercial real estate purchases and sales, entity formation and structuring, financing, title work and due diligence. He has extensive experience with Freddie Mac financing (both credit facilities and Freddie Mac’s CME program) and also has experience with Fannie Mae, CMBS and community bank financing. Within the last two years, he has assisted clients with acquisitions and dispositions of real estate projects in Arizona, California, Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington state, Texas, Florida and Georgia.
Business Transactions Involving Real Estate
Much of Mr. Patton’s practice is fueled by business deals involving real estate. Leveraging his corporate background, he assists real estate clients with forming real estate joint ventures and conducting private offerings to finance real estate projects. His tax background allows him to help clients with the tax aspects that arise in real estate transactions, including section 1031 like-kind exchanges.
A few of Mr. Patton’s recent business deals involving real estate include:
- Representing a company in conducting a private offering to raise capital to purchase a loan secured by real estate, followed by an acquisition of the real estate securing the loan through a deed in lieu of foreclosure transaction
- Representing clients engaging in Section 1031 like-kind exchanges of properties in Arizona, Colorado, Oregon and Utah
- Representing the capital partner in negotiating joint ventures to develop ground-up multi-family real estate projects in Chicago, Seattle and Los Angeles
- Representing a client in entering into a joint venture to acquire and rehabilitate a multi-family property in Tucson
- Representing a client in a joint venture to assemble multiple adjacent properties for redevelopment in Scottsdale
Read More >
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mr. Patton has represented both buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions in a variety of industries including healthcare, software, freight shipping, energy, information technology services and general merchandising. He is also experienced assisting clients with private offerings of securities to acquire and expand businesses.
Some of his recent work in this area includes:
- Representing an information technology services provider in purchasing another provider, allowing our client to expand into Arizona
- Assisting a first-time business owner to acquire a pharmacy with financing from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Representing a high-voltage transmission line contractor in a $131 million merger with a public company
- Representing a client in the golf accessory and equipment business in a private offering to raise capital to acquire a complementary business, which enabled our client to expand into new product markets
- University of Arizona, James E. Rogers - Magna Cum Laude
- University of Arizona Eller College of Management - Graduated number one in his undergraduate class
- Super Lawyers Southwest Rising Stars - Securities and Corporate Finance, 2013-2016
- AZ Business Magazine - "Arizona's Top Attorneys" - Mergers and Acquisitions, 2014
- Tucson Lifestyle Magazine - Tucson's Top Lawyers - Corporate Law, 2011
- Arizona Law Review - Member