Mr. Plachy is a trial lawyer who represents companies in civil lawsuits involving significant financial or reputational exposure. He has tried many complex commercial, real estate, construction, product liability, and class action cases.
Mr. Plachy also regularly advises businesses concerning corporate governance, risk management, and strategic planning issues.
- Represented City and County of Denver in lawsuit filed by the ACLU regarding First Amendment rights of demonstrators during Democratic National Convention. Case was tried and the City prevailed on all claims
- Obtained $22.6 million jury verdict and judgment against The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in the first homeowner lawsuit brought as a result of damages caused by Entran II hose
- Lead trial counsel for defendant, a national apartment complex owner, in suit by hundreds of plaintiffs claiming exposure to toxic substances. Prevailed on all claims
- Lead defense trial counsel in mass tort litigation against multi-national escalator manufacturer. All claims resolved on terms favorable to client
- Lead trial counsel for a national car rental company defending against an antitrust class action; summary judgment awarded in United States District Court; affirmed by the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals; certiorari denied by United States Supreme Court
- Co-lead trial counsel for a multinational corporation in an employment action brought by a terminated employee. Summary judgment awarded in favor of employer on all claims
- Lead trial counsel for a large healthcare provider in the arbitration of an employment dispute; favorable verdict on all claims
- Lead regional trial counsel for large automobile brake manufacturer in numerous asbestos cases
- Lead counsel for State of Colorado in Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund litigation against multinational defendants
- Dollar Rental Car Company
- Honeywell, Inc.
- KONE Inc.
- Baker Hughes Corp.
- Macy’s Department Stores
- Brinker International, Inc.
- Catholic Archdiocese of Denver
- Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport, Conn.
- Tyco International
- US Bank
- Dave & Busters, Inc.
- City & County of Denver, Colorado
- States of Colorado, Louisiana, and Nevada
Representative Reported Cases
- Amica Mut. Ins. Co. v. FirstBank of Boulder, 2010 WL 1250100 (Colo. App. 2010)
- ACLU v. City & County of Denver, 569 F. Supp. 1142 (D. Colo. 2008)
- Toth v. Gates Rubber Co., 216 F.3d 1088 (10th Cir. 2000)
- Union Ins. Co. v. Houtz, 883 P.2d 1057 (Colo. 1994)
- Vista Resorts, Inc. v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 117 P.3d 60 (Colo. App. 2004)
- Two Denver Highlands v. Stanley Structures, Inc., 12 P.3d 819 (Colo. App. 2002)
- Western Surety Co. v. Smith, 914 P.2d at 451 (Colo. App. 1995)
- Law Week Colorado - "Lawyer of the Year", 2008
- Colorado Super Lawyers - 2012 Top 100 Ranking - Business Litigation, 2010-2016
- Benchmark Litigation - "Local Litigation Star" in Colorado, 2016