Ian’s primary practice is serving nonprofits and faith-based organizations. As general counsel to several organizations, he advises clients on the legal, business, and ministry challenges they face. Whether the issues are corporate governance, employment, or international activities, Ian helps organizations minimize their risks and operate in accordance with their unique missions and beliefs. Ian also serves as litigation counsel, First Amendment counsel, and amicus counsel in trial and appellate courts across the country, including the United States Supreme Court.
Ian’s work includes a focus on legal efforts to combat human trafficking and stop international religious persecution, and he advises clients in both of these areas. Ian also has a strong commitment to pro bono representation, particularly for the indigent and underserved.
In addition to his nonprofit and religious organizations practice, Ian serves as litigation and appellate counsel to individuals, organizations, and for-profit companies in commercial and other civil cases. His experience includes real estate, business and contract disputes, intellectual property, legal malpractice, and appellate matters.
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP (legacy firm Rothgerber, Johnson & Lyons LLP), 2012-Present
- Law Clerk, Hon. Jerome A. Holmes, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, August 2011–September 2012
- Transfer Pricing Economist, Mayer Brown LLP, Washington, D.C., 2007–2011
- Executive Editor, Georgetown Law Journal, 2008–2010
- Author, "Preservation Rules in the Federal Courts of Appeals," J. App. Prac. & Process, (forthcoming 2016)
- Co-Author, "Will the Obama Administration Recognize the Legal Evidence of Genocide," National Review Online, March 2016
- Author, "Corporations, the Original Understanding, and the Problem of Power," 10 Geo. J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 115, 2012
- Author, "Pulling Back the Covers: Saleh v. Titan Corporation and (Near-) Blanket Immunity for Military Contractors in War Zones," 1 U. Miami Nat'l Security & Armed Conflict L. Rev. 100, 2011
- Author, "African Capacity Building for Meat Exports: Lessons from the Namibian and Botswanan Beef Industries," 19 Currents: Int'l Trade L.J. 55, 2011