Doug Tumminello’s practice focuses on complex business, business tort, and intellectual property litigation, including matters involving claims against consumer product companies, recreational service providers and outdoor recreation companies. He represents a variety of well-known business and non-profit entities as litigation and trial counsel and has tried cases in the state and federal courts of Colorado and Wyoming as well as in private arbitrations, and has argued before Colorado and federal courts of appeal. Doug’s litigation experience includes product liability, negligence and intentional acts, supply chain, intellectual property, waiver/exculpatory contracts, and insurance-related claims. Doug regularly advises businesses concerning formation, corporate governance and compliance, risk management and strategic planning issues.
Doug is the Vice-Chair of the Colorado Bar Association’s Military & Veterans Affairs Section and chair’s the section’s monthly pro bono legal clinic “Colorado Lawyers for Colorado Veterans.” The clinic serves the various legal requirements of indigent military veterans throughout Colorado by pairing the veterans with attorneys willing to work on a pro bono or needs-based basis.
Doug is also an extreme adventurer who has summited Mt. Everest and set world records for rowing a row boat 3,600 miles across the Indian Ocean from Australia to Mauritius. Most recently he attempted to ski solo and unsupported from the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole, although his attempt was thwarted by weather and injury. He is a well-regarded national speaker and has given a number of keynote addresses to business, civic and nonprofit organizations, schools and churches.
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP (legacy firm Rothgerber Johnson & Lyons LLP), 1996-Present
- United States Army, Infantry Officer, 1987-1992
- Colorado counsel for Russian natural resources company in connection with lawsuits over Russian mining diamond rights. Represented client at all levels of the Colorado court system, as well as in the US District Court and Bankruptcy Court in Colorado.
- Trial counsel for client regarding contract claims. At trial, successfully defended the claims brought against his client and prevailed on all counterclaims against the plaintiff, resulting in a $7.6 million trial judgment in favor of his client
- Litigation counsel for a national real estate investment company, defending claims of asbestos exposure at an apartment complex. Successfully defended the claims brought by over 150 plaintiffs, which the plaintiffs estimated to be in excess of $24 million, and obtained a complete summary judgment dismissal of all claims
- Trial counsel for a national company in a private arbitration over breach of contract and business tort claims. At arbitration, prevailed on all of the claims brought against his client, and on his client’s counterclaims against the plaintiff, which then resulted in a settlement favorable to his client
- Trial counsel for an insurance holding company and its subsidiaries in bad faith and breach of contract lawsuits in Colorado and Wyoming federal and state courts
- Litigation counsel for client in connection with cold weather injury claims sustained during wilderness therapy program
- Litigation counsel for national ski resort company in business tort claims resulting from real estate development
- Presenter, Keynote presentation, National State Auditors Association, June 15, 2016
- Speaker, Commencement Address, Steamboat Springs High School, June 4, 2016
- Speaker, “Emerging Corporate Compliance Trends & Predictions,” Association of Corporate Counsel , April 20, 2016
- Presenter, “Intellectual Property, Manufacturing and Sales Warranties, and Liability Waivers in the Outdoor Manufacturing and Services Industry,” Yampa Valley Entrepreneurship Center, March 25, 2016
- Presenter, Keynote presentation, Medtronic, Inc. sales team, 2015
- Presenter, Keynote presentation, IMA Financial Group, 2015
To read more about Doug, click on the links below:
- Author, "Pretrial Publicity in Criminal Cases of National Notoriety," 46 Am. U. L. Rev. 39 (1996),
- Author, "Liability Waivers for Minors," Sports & Recreation Blog, December 2016
- Author, "Beers in the Backcountry.," Sports & Recreation Blog, October 2016
- Author, "Agritourism on the Rise," Sports & Recreation Blog, September 2016
- Author, "Riding Your e-Bike ‘wherever’ you want?," Sports & Recreation Blog, August 2016
- Author, "Welcome to the Sports & Recreation Blog," Sports & Recreation Blog, August 2016