Andrew P. Rubin is an Associate in Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie’s Business Transactions practice group in the firm’s Denver and Colorado Springs offices. Andrew is licensed to practice law across the mountain west (AZ, CO, MT, ND, UT and WY.)
Clients turn to Andrew for practical solutions to federal, state, and local tax law matters. Andrew advises clients on the federal tax implications of real estate and energy transactions (1031 exchanges, 1254 recapture), corporate tax (entity formation, M&A), partnership tax, and international tax (cross-border investments, inbound and outbound transactions). He also advises on state and local tax issues and frequently handles tax controversy and tax planning matters related to income tax, sales and use tax, and severance tax. Andrew has advised clients on the state income tax treatment of currency hedging and commodities hedging. He guides clients through the nuances of enterprise zones, tax credits, and manufacturing exemptions.
Andrew handles sophisticated corporate and transactional matters regarding the purchase, sale, and financing of assets and regularly advises clients on transactions involving real estate, mineral, energy, and oil and gas properties.
Follow Andrew Rubin on LinkedIn
- Represented multiple borrowers in connection with revolving credit financing facilities of up to $500 million.
- Represented multiple lenders in connection revolving credit financing facilities of up to $30 million.
- Represented an underwriter in connection with a $225 million Rule 144A debt issuance.
- Represented an energy company in the $300 million divestiture and like-kind exchange of oil and gas leasehold interests in Colorado.
- Represented an integrated oil company in the successful acquisition of $30 million in state manufacturing tax credits.
- Prepared a 50-state income tax plan for a fast growing high-tech company.
- Helped a public utility company obtain a multi-million dollar state income tax refund related to settlement proceeds.
- Represented a large landowner in the divestiture and like-kind exchange of land and water rights in Colorado.
- Represented multiple natural resources companies with the acquisition of potash assets and oil and gas leasehold interests.
- Represented multiple investors regarding the acquisition and sale of mineral interests in Wyoming.
- Advised an energy company regarding severance tax matters in Colorado and Utah.
- Represented an international manufacturer with sales tax planning on the acquisition of aircraft.
- Represented a telecommunications company in connection with a local sales tax matter.
- Represented a large beverage company regarding a local sales and use tax matter.
- Represented an international corporation in the recovery of unclaimed property.
- Represented an energy company in connection with a private equity participation agreement.
- Led due diligence activities for multiple energy companies for oil and gas leasehold acquisitions of up to $81 million, covering fee, state and federal lands in Wyoming.
- Speaker, “From Quill(s) to Tablets: State and Local Tax for Colorado Businesses,” Greater Denver Tax Counsel Association, 2015; Denver Business Series, 2015
- Speaker, “Preparing for Oil and Gas Transactions at the Intersection of Tax, Law, and Land,” Colorado Bar Association Tax Section, 2015; Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies, 2015
- Speaker, “SALT in the Oil Patch: State and Local Tax in the Rockies,” Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies, 2014, 2015
- Speaker, “Rocky Mountain SALT Update,” Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies, 2014
- Author, "Field Landman Question of the Month," Denver Associations of Petroleum Landmen, December 2012
- Author, "Surface Owner Issues Relating to Oil and Gas," Colorado Bar Association Real Estate Section Newsletter, 2014