Constantine “Gus” Marantidis is a Partner in Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie’s Intellectual Property practice group. With multiple degrees in aircraft and aeronautical engineering and engineering mechanics, specializes in serving clients in the field of aerospace and in its diverse technologies. In fact, Constantine obtained the patents for SpaceShipOne and for the Martin Jetpack. Constantine is also a Commercial, Instrument, Multi-Engine rated pilot as well as an Airframe & Powerplant Certified mechanic.
Constantine manages significant patent portfolios for his clients and provides counseling on various patentability issues, including design-around issues and those stemming from the launch of new products in the marketplace. Publicly-traded corporations, start-ups and individual inventors turn to Constantine for his talent in supervising and managing intellectual property litigation, negotiating complex intellectual property licensing agreements, and securing their intellectual property rights.
He represents clients in diverse technology areas including aerospace, business methods, defense and security, materials science, propulsion, medical devices, automotive, mechanical engineering, electro-mechanical engineering, life sciences, optics, nanotechnology, chemicals, oil, gas and energy.
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP (legacy firm Christie Parker & Hale LLP), Partner, 2002-present
- Obtained the patent for the Martin Jetpack, which Time Magazine listed among the Top 50 inventions of the year in 2010. The Martin Jetpack has an engine driving twin ducted fans which produce sufficient thrust to lift the jetpack and a pilot in vertical takeoff and landing, enable sustained flight, and provide for superior control
- Prosecuted and overseas a world-wide patent portfolio directed to SpaceshipOne and to the hybrid rocket system used in SpaceshipOne. SpaceShipOne was then named '2004 Invention of the Year' by Time magazine as a part of its annual 'Coolest Invention' issue.'
- Secured patent protection in the U.S. and abroad for Optimum Speed Rotor and Optimum Speed Tilt Rotor technologies for Frontier Systems, Inc. The technology allows helicopters with fixed and tilt rotors to operate at fuel efficient power settings.
- Obtained patent portfolios directed bits and materials used in the oil drilling industry.
- Obtained multiple patents directed to above well drilling equipment.
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property - Protecting and Enforcing for Business Advantage," Renaissance Executive Forums, Riverside Calif., and Ontario, Calif., 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Get Your Trademark On!”, American Marketing Association Trademark Game Show, Ontario, Calif., 2015
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property and International Trade," World Trade Conference, Ontario, Calif., 2014
- Moderator, "AIA Navigation Strategies," USC Intellectual Property Institute, Beverly Hills, Calif., 2013
- Co-Presenter, "Obtaining Patent Rights on Smart Structures and Material Related Technologies," San Diego, Calif., 1996.
- Co-author, "Patent Rights Compared to Other Intellectual Property Rights," OE Reports, December 1997
- Co-author, "Patent Rights Developed Under U.S. Government Funding Have Some Restrictions, Benefits," OE Reports, August 1997
- Co-Author, "How to Obtain U.S. Patent Rights," OE Reports, May 1997
- Co-Author, "Patents: Vehicles For Protecting Technology in a Globally Competitive Environment, OE Reports, March 1997.
- Co-Author, "Patent Rights and the 'Clinical Trial' Exception to Patent Infringement," OE Reports, January 1997
- Co-author, "Design Requirements and System Payoffs for an On-Board Structural Health Monitoring System (SHMS)," SPIE Conference Proceeding Paper, Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Sensing, Processing, and Instrumentation, 1994
- Co-author, “Acoustic-emission sensing in an on-board smart structural health monitoring system for military aircraft,” SPIE Conference Proceeding Paper, Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Sensing, Processing, and Instrumentation, May, 1994
- Co-author, "Sensor and Sensing Technologies, for Structural Health Monitoring," SPIE Conference Proceeding Paper, Smart Structures and Materials, 1993
- Co-author, "Smart Structures Concepts for Aircraft Structural Health Monitoring," SPIE Conference Proceeding Paper, Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Structures and Intelligent Systems, 1993
- Co-author, 'Structural Health Assessment and Review Program (SHARP): Prototype of an On-Board Structural Health Monitoring System," SPIE Conference Proceeding Paper, Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Structures and Intelligent Systems, 1993