David A. Plumley is a Partner with Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie’s Intellectual Property practice group. Clients turn to David for assistance in protecting and enforcing their patent and trademark rights in the U.S. and abroad. He has also helped numerous clients in transactional and due diligence matters relating to the licensing, purchase, and sale of intellectual property assets.
Prior to his legal career David worked in the petroleum industry and his technical experience has benefited clients in areas including fuel cells, batteries, solar cells, internal combustion engines, and alternative fuels including biodiesel, hydrogen, and natural gas. He also has extensive technical experience in medical devices and electronics manufacturing.
Clients value David’s responsiveness, his hands-on approach, and his problem solving skills in building, maintaining, and enforcing their intellectual property assets.
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie (legacy firm Christie Parker & Hale LLP), Partner, 1991-present
- Unocal, Chemical Engineer, 1982-1991
- Represented a large West Coast-based grocery chain in clearing, protecting, and enforcing its service marks and in developing new trademark for its house brands in North America
- Advised a startup on patent and trademark clearance and protection issues relating to the international launch of a new line of health care products
- Represented a national direct sale retailer in protecting its service marks and in launching new lines of house-branded alcoholic beverages
- Represented international companies in the fashion industry in developing and enforcing trademark and design patent rights
- Advised numerous retail and manufacturing companies in defending claims brought by patent monetization organizations
- Represented both trademark owners and domain name owners in domain name disputes under the UDRP
- Round Table Moderator, “Legal Services Delivery,” International Trademark Association, January 2012
- Panel Moderator, “Intellectual Property Strategies: Trade Secrets vs. Patents,” Los Angeles County Technology Week, October, 2008
- Round Table Moderator, “Electronic Trademark Filing Strategies,” International Trademark Association, November 2002
- Panelist, “Intellectual Property Strategies for Start-Ups,” Los Angeles Times Small Business Strategies Conference, October, 1998