Distinctive designs separate your products from the competition and deserve maximum protection. A design patent protects the ornamental design of a product, such as the shape, configuration, and other ornamental features. Design patents are often an important piece to an intellectual property portfolio. Following recent high profile decisions, design patents have gained a growing importance for protecting innovative designs.
The attorneys at Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie have decades of experience obtaining and enforcing design patent rights worldwide. We have represented clients on design patent matters in district courts across the United States and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. Supreme Court.
We specialize in employing cost-effective strategies to protect your designs, enforce your rights in those designs, and support your business and marketing goals in the United States and worldwide. Our attorneys oversee and maintain design patent portfolios, some of which include hundreds of patents, for many types of industries and products.
Our attorneys have experience protecting rights and/or litigating patent design rights in numerous areas of design, such as:
- Display devices, including smartphones
- Smartphone accessories
- Graphical user interfaces
- Medical devices
- Automobiles, including off-road vehicles and accessories such as headlights and wheels
- Office products
- Furniture, including office, outdoor, dining, bedroom, and massage chairs
- Jewelry, including diamond cuts
- Fashion, including handbags, footwear (boots and athletic shoes) and apparel (yoga pants)
- Sporting equipment, including golf bags
- Photographic equipment, including light diffusers, spotlights and storage containers
- Lighting fixtures, including commercial outdoor pole-mounted lighting fixtures and wall-mounted electric lighting fixtures
- Electrical plugs and connectors
- Firearms, knives, and other weapons
- Other consumer products, including pillows, shoe bags, easels, dog collars, foot and hand massagers, and hair accessories